Friday, March 25, 2011

A surreal world of perfection

I am currently blogging from the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel in Palo Alto California.  This is my third visit to Stanford and I cannot get over how unnaturally perfect this place is.  Although the rain and gloom has somewhat dampened its flawlessness this trip, it somehow retains ultimately impressive.  There is immaculately manicured landscaping, quintessential shops, and beautiful buildings.  It is hard to imagine that students similar to ourselves live and study in this environment.  It is odd that they are learning much of the same material and having similar conversations in this alternate reality across the country.  Although I attend a well respected university, I'm still awe-inspired at the Stanford University.  There is an entire next level of respect that I have for these students that call this their home school.  I wonder if this is how some people feel about Michigan students when they visit Ann Arbor.

This has made me wonder about the phenomenon of "ivory tower isolation" and the disconnect of academia.  I get this feeling of an elite exclusive community when I walk Stanford's campus and I am somewhat impressed, yet somewhat disgusted.  I think that education should be respected but the school name should not necessarily be held on a pedestal.  Maybe if people felt that the attainment of knowledge was not so elitist, we would have an overall more educated world.  However, some people are driven to attain high education to attain this exclusive status.  This presents somewhat of a catch-22.

Well, this is not a concept that is going to be resolved in one blog post so I am going to go enjoy the Stanford atmosphere although it is neither warm nor sunny.  It is only 6:12 pm here and I still have four hours until race time.  I will be competing tonight against some of the fastest in the country at the Stanford Invitational and is my first 10k on the track and I am a bit nervous.   The 10k has its own mystique that can only be revealed through 25 laps of fun.

Thanks for pondering with me from across the country.

Go Blue!
Kaitlyn

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea you were going to be at Stanford! I hope your competition went well! I know what you're talking about when you describe Stanford's campus- I took summer classes there a few years back and I was awestruck every time I walked onto campus. It is weird to think that they're learning similar things as us all the way across the country... kind of existential! Hope you get to enjoy some CA sunshine while you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I visited Michigan on Campus Day (about 4 years ago), I felt that same feeling you're describing.. I was in awe! It contributed to my decision to come here, to be honest. I think universities like Stanford and Michigan do have an air of elitism, partially because of the history and prestige, but also because of the academic rigor.. I think it just comes from people feeling proud and untouchable, almost?

    Anyway, 10k sounds very intimidating, but I hope your race went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that experience here at UM when visiting and also in So. Cal., where it seemed that everything had that sort of very-manicured, uber-perfect landscape and architecture. I can't wait to hear about all your successes in the future.

    ReplyDelete